I always have been fascinated by photography.
But with the introduction of the digital camera it all became too easy, too predictable …to me.
So I forced myself to go back to the roots of real analog photography.
Not just by making the photograph itself, but by controlling the entire photographic process.

This brought me back to the middle of the 19th century, to the amazing Collodion wet plate process.
And every single day I feel challenged to refine and improve myself.


For my website please visit : www.alextimmermans.com

Alex Timmermans
Holland


"You don't take a picture, it's given to you"

donderdag 24 januari 2013

Another beautiful Hermagis lens


By now the most of you know that I have a weakness for Hermagis lenses.
Not just because of the optic quality, but also because of the beautiful finish of these lenses.
Just have a look at the beautiful engravings…
A few months ago I was able to buy this very rare large  Hermagis
demi-grand-angles avec rotateurs”.

This is an extremely nice piece off engineering.
By turning the lens hood you can change the aparture which is build inside the lens.
This mechanism is made of 2 brass tubes slided into each other.
They have a fitting which makes it impossible to put even a human hair between them.

Can you imagine? This lens was handmade at about 1872!
Just have a look at the lens design. perfectly round and polished by hand

Additional info

I contacted Geoffry Berliner about this lens,
Geoffry is director off Center for Alternative Photography in New York..
He's also a collector of ancient lenses.

You really should have a look at their webiste.
http://capworkshops.org/
I want such a daylight studio......
It's on my wish list to visit once.

He has send me the following information about this Hermagis:


"It is a Schnitzer / Harrison Globe formula from the 1862 patent.
This formula was licensed out to European manufactures of the period as it was
too expensive to export due to tariffs and import fees.
The Emil Busch Pantoscop is in the same category as your Hermagis.
A great find of a very rare and beautiful lens."








 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten